The Shrine of Our Lady of the Smile history; pilgrimages to Pszów; Pszów as the religious center
Katowice : Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Śląskiego
Z. Hojka, K. Nowak (red.), "Turystyka historyczna. T. 1" (S. 148-163). Katowice : Wydawnictwo Uniwersytetu Śląskiego
Through the course of history, the sanctuary in Pszów was one of the most important
places of the Mother of God cult in Upper Silesia. The main aim of exploration was to see
the mentioned lands as a center created in human conscience. The cult of the Mother of God,
pilgrimages, creating the deanery in 1924, the social structure, and a specific type of religiosity
and mentality as well are the main reasons which evidence the role of Pszów as a religion
center. Listed elements let us consider Pszów as the religious center of Rybnik–Wodzislaw lands.
Finally, the history of the church in Pszów, the temple architecture, combating the pilgrimages in
1945–1989 and efforts of sanctuary development are described there as well.